Wednesday, May 7, 2008

Goal setting

Heeeyyyy...everyone I'm really excited for this expireince. Let's get down to business......



In regards to goal setting in the field of fitness, I currently use the SMART methodology. SMART stands for S: Specific, M:Measurable, A:Achievable, R:Realistic , and T:timed. This specific method allows someone to be more accurate in achieving his or her fitness goals.



If you say:"I want to lose weight, or I want to get strong, or I want to get more flexible"...these statements are useless. For example, using the SMART method as described above someone should depict:' I want to loose 3 kgs in body weight and 3-5 % body fat, in 1 month. This Short Term goal has all 4 key elements of the SMART approach.



Goals can be categorized as Short(2 months), Middle(up to 6 months), and Long Term(up to a year). Always have the big picture in your head and visualise it.



Working out just for fun is not a valid reason. Get a piece of paper and write your fitness goals down. This method work out for personal goal setting, too.



I'm waiting for some feedback.....I'm working on the photo alright. I'm out.....

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

Andreas!
Congratulations on your blog! You have always been very active and really know fitness inside and out. I look forward to learning from your blog and putting the SMART to work for my body.
Utilizing the SMART method how does one lose fat while keeping muscle? And how does one go about kick starting their metabolism?
Could give a specific cardio/weight sample work out?
Cheers!

Unknown said...

Congratulations amigo!
Will visit your blog often...
Give us some stuff on strength endurance at some point...
Keep up the good work dude

Andreas Prezas, 'The Cypriot Dude' said...

To lose fat while keeping muscle is a million dollar question. Well, 2 things are really important if you want to lose fat and maintain or increase muscle mass: nutrition and traiining.

For the nutrition aspect, I don't want to mislead anyone because is not my expertise. Nutrition is the most important issue here. For the nutrition part, I will say this...protein is the ultimate source of muscle increase or maintainance. Make sure you consume it in every meal.

As for the training aspect, I will admit that Resistance training is more beneficial in losing body fat than aerobic exercise and surerly is boosting your metabolism.

Choose resistance training exercises that train not only one muscle group because you burn more calories and your metabolism is on even after your workout..they are some good exercises on the new post.

Resistance train 2 or 3 times a week along with some cardio workout will give you good results.

As for a cardio workout that is proven to lose fat....the most common today is called interval training.

For more advance strength endurance workouts i will have a post coming up.